Monday, July 21, 2008

Sabbatical
As you read this today, I am on Sabbatical! What is the world is a sabbatical? Webster defines it as, "any extended period of leave from one's customary work, esp. for rest, to acquire new skills or training, etc." I am taking 6 weeks during the slower pace of summer to try to do just this. Actually, I took my first sabbatical 6 1/2 years ago for 4 weeks. At that time I was having some serious health issues that needed to be addressed. I had just been told that I needed coronary bypass surgery. I took that time to fast, pray, eat healthier and exercise. It was an amazing time. As I was taking some radical health steps, I saw change in about 3 weeks. After about 21 days my blood pressure and blood sugar dropped into the normal range from pretty high and unhealthy levels. What did it? Of course God! However, I would not be honest if I simply left it at that. God worked with my efforts of obedience.

I think one of the most important things that happened at that time was getting my stress levels down to a normal place. This might not apply to some of you but as a type "A"(+) personallity, my stress levels will rise, rise, and rise some more until it gets out of control. Pace seems to be something I find very difficult to do. I will get to the point that even when I could rest because I have an afternoon open, I can't relax. That a sure sign something is wrong and left unchecked will result in serious emotional or physical sickness and usually both. The older I get the more I see that I have been paying the price through the year but thought I was getting away with it.

Let me encourage you to reevaluate your life and lifestyle. Men especially are bad about this. Men get their fulfillment from working and being the answer for everyone else. It's a killer and out of control, it's deadly. I'm taking 6 weeks after 34 years of full time ministry. You may not be able to do that. There are things you can do. Learn to pace your life. Pull in the reins on your life and live within a discipline more structured lifestyle. Set schedules and live within those schedules. It's not wrong to require that others fit into your schedule. You will both be better for it. Take time for you. If you take some time to do what you like to do(other than work), it will release you to be better at serving others. Get plenty of rest. Rest is as important as diet. Both are critical to longevity. The big thing is to recognize the problem and make it a priority!

No comments:

 test blog