Monday, July 28, 2008

Maintaining Joy In Ministry
One of the reasons I didn't want to be a preacher was that I didn't see many happy ones! I know that's an exaggeration but at that time, that's what I felt. After a few years in full time ministry, I began to understand that there is a challenge to maintaining joy in the midst of ministry. People who have never served in full time service ministry to people don't have any idea what happens when you serve in ministry 24/7, 365 days a year. Then, I read the words of the Apostle Paul who wrote, "rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice"! The real earth shaker here is that he wrote it while he was in prison!

Nehemiah writes "the joy of the Lord is your strength". If that is true, a person without joy is a person without power. Let me share 10 things that have helped me get back on the horse after being thrown off!

1. Understand that joy comes from the Lord and our finding pleasure in Him.

2. Joy is found in doing God's will. Knowing you are serving in the will of God makes all situations bearable, and in time enjoyable.

3. Joy follows "bringing the Kingdom". Rom. 14:17; Acts 8:1-8

4. Focus on Kingdom Fruit, not only outward results. - Acts 15:3

5. Don't take it personally! - Acts 13: 50-52

6. Selflessness promotes joy - Acts 20:24

7. Seek to be a contagious joy extender! - 2 Cor. 7:13

8. Remain focused on the Kingdom destination - Heb. 12:2

9. Stay filled with the Holy Spirit - Gal. 5:22

10. Don't complain! - David said in Psalm 77:3, "I complained and my spirit was overwhelmed".

No comments:

 test blog