Monday, October 13, 2008

Kingdom Stuff


Part III


Generational Leadership Transition


"The nature of the animal"


Generational transition will occur with or without us. The question is: will I be an active participant in the process. I'm finding that the emerging leaders desire the input and loving direction of the older leadership. That is why I firmly believe that this generation can do what no generation before us has done, make a Kingdom transfer with assets and not deficits. We can pass on a healthy ministry or organization and not one that has hemorrhaged for years trying to maintain. I am certain that is as much a part of our life's call as the call itself. While we can't guarantee what the next generation will do with what we pass on, that is still our responsibility.


In the last blog I mentioned that if a leader will look around he will probably see emerging leaders. Obviously, that will only apply in a healthy situation. In a healthy situation, leaders produce leaders. Let's assume that is the case. From that standpoint, it is the older leader's responsibility to prepare and point the emerging leadership in the right direction while operating in a slow release of responsibility.


If that is not done, the emerging potential leaders will not see any hope of a future under the direction of the older leader, and the seamless transition will not happen. Prov. 13:12 says, "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, But when the desire comes, it is a tree of life". If there is no sign of a true opportunity for ministry transfer to the emerging leader, that lack of hope will "make the heart sick". However, if the older leader will get a plan in place for training, oversight, slow release and final release, it will be "a tree of life". This tree of life will not only be for the emerging leader but for the church or organization as well.

I just did that of which I speak. As the announcement was made that I would be stepping aside, not out, as the senior leader, I could see a new life of excitement and enthusiasm in our congregation. While they have honored me for my role, they are looking to the future with great hope. Of course, I have spent years choosing the right leaders, training them, pointing them and now coaching them. Now my role has changed. I am not the "Father" of the work, now I am the "Grandfather". Had I not made the transition, the "heartsick" option would come into play. That downward spiral looks something like this: the organization begins to lose speed and direction. Members of the group feel the deterioration but loyalty makes them put it out of their minds. In time, emerging leaders may "feel led" to go elsewhere and usually that means starting a new work. The emerging followers will follow the emerging leader. The old guard will point the finger and say, "rebels and traitors". There is some truth in this accusation but there is more truth that the older, non-flexible leadership having been at the root of the problem. The new group is now left to grope around in inexperience without adequate resources. The older group is now motivated, not by Kingdom advancement but by hurts, loyalty and a "faithfulness to the end" mindset.
As I end I must say that I know that my making the transition at my age (60 at my next birthday)is apparently early and was precipitated by moving to an overseer capacity, still the point must be made. Transition must occur by plan of action if we care about posterity. Hopefully, my making the transition earlier gives me a perspective that the potential fears of my later years may not have afforded.

No comments:

 test blog