Monday, December 14, 2009

Being Called And Being Sent





I don't know many songs from the mid to late 1970's. I remember a lot from the 60's and many from the 80's but the 70's is pretty much a blank. Movies are much the same way. One day I was thinking about it and as I was pondering the blank spaces in my memory I realized why. I came back to the Lord in 1973, responded to the Call to ministry that same year and was immersed in God, revival, training and discipleship for the next few years.





You see, I was so much in the world that my worldview, my tastes and my process of thinking was totally a worldly mindset. It was months before I could even tell a real change was occurring in my attitudes. Romans tells us not to be conformed to this world but to be transformed by "the renewing of your mind." That was what was happening to me in the 70's and by the way, is still taking place. I had so much of the world in me that if I had just continued walking as I had been walking and thinking the way I had been thinking with the only change being ministry training and a new vocation, I would have been of no value to God.





In the life of every servant of Jesus, there must be this coming out of the world, a season of separation, before there can be an effective sending for Kingdom purposes. There must be a time of sanctification and then an immersion in the things of God in order to see true Kingdom fruit. Otherwise we will find ourselves in the church sending "clouds without rain". We are warned to avoid having "a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof". The sending without first before the drawing away for preparation produces this powerless religion in time.





All the great ones have had this experience. Jesus in the desert, Paul in Arabia, Moses in the wilderness, Joseph in the prison, Jacob at Bethel and the list goes on endlessly. Any person who tries to take a shortcut to ministry will end up in disaster while taking others with him.





What about you and me? If you find yourself already in a place of leadership and you know in your heart that you bypassed the "coming aside" for preparation, and I don't mean training alone. I mean a season of the emptying of you in order to be filled with Him. It's not too late. If asked, the Lord will take you through this process even while you are in a place of service. He does it all the time. Simply see it and pursue Him.


No comments:

 test blog