Monday, March 8, 2010

Observations from visiting a new church, hoping to assist church leaders.

On the road again in my RV. We attended another church Sunday where we were not known nor did we know the congregation. I'm getting into to this as I have never been able to do this because of ministry responsibilities. It was a relatively new church launch with a lot of young believers and a lot of excitement. The church was a part of a National fellowship of churches that is known for a lot of growth and new church launches. Because I am a church planter/launcher, and because I now oversee churches and ministries, it's difficult not to "oversee" when I attend a new church. I have to blank it all out and make a decision to love, blend and worship. I did a fair job and didn't allow myself to process the service until after I left that afternoon

Here were my observations: First, the church was moderately friendly. About two people welcomed us when we entered. It is not unusual to attend a new church and have no one greet us. I know that sounds strange but it is true. We should all work on that. Just as we were a little "sheepish" upon entering an unknown congregation for the first time, I could tell the people were a little nervous about us as well and that was probably why we weren't welcomed more warmly. The building was a store front which is where most new church launches start once they leave the home setting and start trying to reach a community. The building was very clean and neat. The service opened with a young man welcoming the group. He was a little nervous which didn't really "break the ice". The worship team started the worship and it was average. They didn't appear to be worshipping as much as trying to get through the mechanics of the songs. That tends to put a hindrance on the congregation and stops a real flow in worship. It can keep a song service from turning into worship. A relaxed and comfortable atmosphere is so important to worship and fellowship. Of course a church has to use the giftings they have.

When we got to the speaker, the Senior Pastor took the platform. He was a gentle and kind young man. He did an adequate job through the message but at the end, he moved into a very personal story that had a dramatic impact. You could sense that this man was motivated to truly love and help people. He ended without a strong challenge for salvation, although it was included in his presentation. The endtire service was one hour. Then there was coffee and rolls and people seemd to be connected. Once again, as I mentioned in another blog about this earlier, this church is far greater in substance than is demonstrated on Sunday morning. The church is growing and vibrant. It is growing with average worship and preaching. The emphasis of the church is focused on having a real relationship with Jesus and one anohter.

For me it was obvious that this group was making a deliberate effort to focus on spiritual growth in their members more than having a "show" on Sunday. I noticed that they offered home/cell/support groups 5 nights a week which seemed to be their real life flow.

We are all trying to learn as we go and I'm still learning!

No comments:

 test blog