Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A stitch in time saves nine

We have all heard it but what does it mean? "A stitch in time" is an old English saying that means to stitch a small hole quickly before it becomes a larger one. Great lesson!

Not a lot surprises me anymore. I am however, still amazed when I see people who face worsening problems dismiss them as if they will take care of themselves. Problems don't fix themselves. Now here's a shocker: God doesn't usually fix problems solo either. Most of the time the Lord will send the answer or remedy to us with instructions on how to apply the fix. It is our job to remain in right relationship with the Father and be able to hear and see and embrace the instructions when they come. One of the great "cop outs" in the Christian world is, "I'm waiting on the Lord". Of course, we know the Lord does have a timing and it is critical that we discern that timing and make sure our actions fit within his time frame. However, all too often the delay is on our part and we like to shift the blame of procrastination to Jesus.

I watched a guy once spend two years at home in "prayer for a job"! What a farce! He wanted the perfect job. Actually, he wanted what he thought was the perfect job. That is not God's way. God is a God who brings "the job" to a person who has taken the initiative and gotten "a job". Ask yourself the question today: "what area of my life is undone because I haven't taken any initiative?" I am convinced that many answers to prayer are delayed not because God hasn't answered but because there has been no "faith activity" on the part of the one needing the answer. When Teresa and I were first married we were transferred to San Diego by the Navy. Teresa had just graduated from business college and had not been able to get a job. My meager pay left us in a bind. We weren't in trouble yet but a week of delay would cause us to be behind the eight ball. We were praying for help. We went for a walk and passed a Denny's restaurant. There was a sign in the window that said, "Dishwasher wanted". I said to Teresa, "I'll be back in a minute". I came back out in about 5 minutes and said, "go on home, I'll see you later, I have just been hired and have to go to work"! I worked there washing other people's dirty dishes for several months as a second job. Teresa did find a job and our financial world improved dramatically. However, before that happened, this little job proved to be a life saver for us. I didn't want to do it but it was a job! Looking back on that experience I know the Lord opened that door and I learned a lot from it. Yes, Jesus wanted me to wash dishes!

Take some initiative. If you need to sell your house, clean it up. If you need "the job", take "a job". Begin to act in line with your need. Procrastination is faith in reverse. It can actually hinder the provision of the Lord. Remember, "a stitch in time saves nine".

2 comments:

kennyg said...

GREAT MESSAGE FROM THE LORD, PAPA. BOY, SURELY WE ARE LIVING IN THE DAYS WHERE PROCRASTINATION AND LAZINESS(in all areas) NEED TO BE LEFT BEHIND US. I AM ONE WHO NEEDS TO ACTUALLY SPEND MORE QUALITY TIME WITH THE LORD, GOD ALMIGHTY. AND I MEAN ACTUALLY WAITING ON HIM AND FELLOWSHIPPING WITH HIM ON A DEEPER LEVEL. THANKS FOR THE MOTIVATION. JOAN AND KENNY SEND LOVE

Chuck Hall said...

Great word and much wisdom! We try to be too spiritual, when God wants us to wash dishes. I did something similar when I first graduated from college by working as a ditch-digger, later as an orderly and as a manager of a fast-food restaurant. I learned a lot from each job and was able to feed my family. Thanks for the encouragement.

 test blog