Monday, May 30, 2011

Resistance to Restoration

John 5:6 (KJV)
6 When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?

I am still amazed by several things in this story. I am amazed that Jesus asked if he really wanted to be healed. I am amazed that the man didn't really give an answer to the question. I am amazed that Jesus healed him anyway. I think we see here that there are times when God heals people who don't do things correctly or who don't take the proper faith posture and yet they are healed. Generally though, there are patterns in play. In my last blog I wrote about the connection of suffering, compassion and the provision. When there is a needy one, a desire by that one to rise out of their suffering, compassion by another who has Jesus living in them, there will be restoration in one form or another. The Bible is filled with such stories.

As a young Christian I found a suffering man one day. He was emaciated and apparantly in much pain. I was moved with compasion. I had to do something to stop his pain. However, within me was more than a desire to stop his present pain. I wanted to help him start a new life. As I talked to him I learned that it had been several days since he had eaten. I put him in my car and took him home. Teresa prepared food for him. I talked to him as he tried to eat but he couldn't eat very much. I took him to a place that sheltered those in need. I checked on him the next day only to learn he had left the shelter as soon as I did. Then, a couple of days later he was found dead sleeping next to a railroad track. He was frozen in the bitter winter cold. It was so hard to understand. I was willing to help and I believed things could be different for him. The problem? He didn't believe it.

It is a difficult thing for compassion to understand or believe that a person's deepest infirmity isn't their obvious need. There are those whose greatest problem is that they actually choose a life of self destruction. It is a choice! Can you change them? Is there hope? There is always hope but no, you nor I can change them. Something has to happen on the inside of them. In fact there has to be a miracle before the miracle. There has to be a healing deep within them before the true restoration can begin. Seeing their need and exposing them to your compassion is a powerful force. Begin to pray for them and stay in touch so that you can help when their moment comes. However, there are many, many out there who are ready and ripe now for restoration. Find them and release your compassion upon them. Restoration will follow. By the way, they may not be the obvious ones to you and also may be closer than you think.

1 comment:

Eddie Taylor said...

Great reminder that need to cooperate with the grace of God.
Thanks!

 test blog