Thursday, August 11, 2011

Social Networking

Relax, this isn't primarily about Face book or Twitter. It is about social connecting though. I must admit that I am not the biggest fan of electronic relationships (thougth I do it) because they can be shallow and even dishonest. In talking about reading books a friend recently said, "I know about iBooks but I still like to feel the pages in my hands and smell the aroma of a good book." I feel the same way about social connecting. In my opinion connecting through any form of writing is the least effective form, the phone is one notch above but nothing is like that eyeball to eyeball connecting. All can be good if the less effective ways aren't the primary. I have actually seen husbands, wives and children texting each other while in the same building!

Let me get to my point. We are moving toward a loss of the ability to read people and situations and arrive at true connection. We are now seeing a new generation that doesn't know how to look you in the eye, shake your hand and carry on a real conversation. While more and more are involved in minute by minute social networking less and less are involved in actually connecting. Recently I attended a church where I was a stranger. After several visits to the early contemporary service I decided to go to the traditional service just to learn. I love studying people and groups! It's kind of like going to the zoo!:) After about six visits to the early service filled with mostly younger people I went to the other service filled with the "blue hairs". I came away shocked! The younger crowd had made sure the coffee and cookies were in place, the service made me comfortable and that I was under no pressure whatsoever. I was left alone! No, really, I was left alone. No one spoke to me unless I spoke first. Six visits!!! When I went to the older service I was overwhelmed with the warm genuine expression of love and welcome. My conclusion? We are losing something. Young people need to watch older people interact and try to regain some social skills. And yes, it happens all the time in non denominational churches too.

May we all keep learning!

1 comment:

Chuck Hall said...

It is sad, but true. Six visits...wow! Thanks for sharing that, L.A..

 test blog