Monday, October 8, 2012

Peacemakers

A good friend of mine once said, "we are supposed to be bridge builders, but remember that bridges are walked on!" Often being peacemakers involves some abuse.  Yet, reconciliation is a part of our ministry as followers of Jesus.  He said to us in Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God."  It's just part of our job!

Serving as a pastor for most of my life I have sat with many confused people who, often after my counsel, went to be a peacemaker and left attacked and wounded. They limped back to my office to ask, "what happened?"  It didn't seem to work.  We need to understand our part in the peacemaking process. We can only do our part of extending the olive branch of peace and reconciliation.  We can't make forgiveness and a desire for reconciliation appear in the heart of the other person.  We can only do our part. The Bible tells us that if we have an offense against someone we must go to them and try to get it right. It also says that if we know that a person has an offense against us, once again it's on us to go to them.  We can only do our part out of obedience.  We like to think that obeying the Lord and going, and it's a very hard thing to do, guarantees that the other person will be gracious and appreciate our efforts.  Not always!  I remember going to one man once and humbly asking for forgiveness and expressing a desire to be reconciled.  He turned on me like a wild animal and I actually thought he was going to attack me physically.  He said, "stay away from me!" He went to his grave never changing. How did I live with it?  I learned that once I did my part I was free!  While he wasn't free, I was free because I had sincerely obeyed the Lord in the matter.  Here is a wonderful verse.  Rom. 12:18 "if it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men."  Did you get it!  "As much as depends on you..."God only requires us to obey His word and do our part. The outcome in the matter does not determine our outcome in life. 

All of this means that I have had to learn to live extending a lot of grace to people.  Forgiveness and dropping the charges are powerful and liberating activities. Where are you in all this today?  If you haven't chosen to forgive, do so now.  If you need to go to someone in a effort to bring peace and reconciliation, do so now.  If you have already gone to someone and they rejected your efforts, let it go and do so now!  Remember, the Lord only requires to live peaceably with all men, "as much as depends on you."

No comments:

 test blog