Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Glory

The word "glory" is defined as very great praise.  We human beings either struggle with 

glory or desire it when we shouldn't.  I remember vividly when, as a young upstart minister,

 someone came to me after I had just preached in a service and made some complimentary 

statement about my sermon.  I was very uncomfortable with it and honestly didn't know what

 to say.  I said what I had heard other preachers say when in the same situation.  "To God 

be the glory!"  Even saying it felt wrong somehow because honestly, the compliment  felt

 good but I could never admit that.  After that I tried a number of phrases and none seemed 

any better.  Finally, I prayed and asked the Lord, "what would be a good thing to say when 

complimented for service."  I heard a very liberating answer. "Why don't you simply say 

thank you?"  Wow!  Kinda weird!  Yet, often our struggle with compliments over service can 

be the evidence of pride itself.  The fact that there is a struggle says a lot.  The absence of 

struggle and the clear understanding that we are vessels filled with the life and ministry of 

Jesus can really be a safe and secure place in the love of Jesus.  

On one occasion Jesus said, "Glorify your Son so he can give glory back to you."NLT
Jesus said to us, "as the Father sent me so send I you."  God the Father does intend to
allow his glory to touch us and work through us as a way of glorifying himself.  When the Lord heals us or blesses us in an extraordinary way, we experience his glory.  Then our living testimony of His blessing reflect and directs the glory back to God.  It has been said that the Lord is like the sun and we are like the moon.  We have no light in our humanity but as redeemed humanity we reflect the light and Glory of the sun/Son.  Settle in your heart that there is nothing of any value in your own being. All that we have that is good comes only through the indwelling Christ.  With that knowledge we may relax in His Presence and allow the glory to fall us and reflect from us.  

No comments:

 test blog