Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Praying For Your Pastor

Just before Christmas I wrote a blog about praying for your congregation.  Today we will deal with the topic, "Praying for your Pastor."  I guess I had to retire from serving as a pastor to write this blog.  Otherwise it might have been said that I was self-serving! :)  I have served as a church member who worked in the church while working a secular job.  I have served as  part time staff member who was working a secular job.  I have served as an Associate Pastor and most of my ministry years I served as a Senior Pastor.  Then there was the times I served a small or medium sized congregation alone without a staff and finally a larger congregation with a staff.  What was the most difficult of all?  Without a doubt it was being the only staff pastor.  Even if the church is mobilized and people are serving in ministry roles it is still a very hard job.  I can tell you from experience that no one can ever understand the load of responsibility and just plain hard work involved as serving as a pastor.  I know you may be thinking of some pastor that makes you think, "I wish I had that job!"  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Certainly, like all professions and jobs there are lazy people in all walks of life.  However if a pastor is doing his job he almost never stops.  It is a 24/7 commitment.  Remember, when you are enjoying your weekend, pastors usually aren't.  Even if they are not doing their normal weekend of funerals and weddings, they are still carrying the God-entrusted weight of the Sunday service just before them.  It is also an unseen weight on the marriage and the family as a whole. It is vital to the welfare of the Church that the Pastor and his family are healthy in spirit, mind and body.  You can play a big part in keeping your church healthy by praying and caring for the Pastor and his family. They are truly a gift to your Church.

Here are some things you can do and pray to assist your Pastor:

1.  Pray for him regularly.  As you pray be sensitive to the leadership of the Holy Spirit and pray specifically for anything that comes to your mind while in prayer.
2.  Let him know that you are praying for him on a regular basis.  I have people who pray for me every day.  What a joy it is for me to know that.  What a strength it brings to me.
3.  Pray for his family individually and by name.  Don't tell the children that you are praying for them,necessarily, as that could intimidate them.  They need to live in as much of a normal environment as possible. One of my children told me that they couldn't even attend a children's birthday party in a normal way because they were "the preachers kid."  One time someone told them, "you should know better, you are the pastor's child!"  Oh great!  My child told me that story after they were grown!  Still carrying the marks from the words of an immature and unenlightened church member many years before.
4.  Pray for abundant provision for the pastor and his family.  They struggle with financial matters like everyone else.
5.  Try to help the Pastor and his family to get away from the church and ministry on a regular basis.
It will create a healthier atmosphere for everyone as well and release a new creativity and freshness in the Pastor.
6.  Practice spiritual warfare for the Pastor and family.  Ephesians 6:10-18
The enemy would like nothing better than to take him out.  If you "smite the shepherd the sheep will scatter."
7.  Find a need in the Church and fill it.  One of the heaviest loads of leadership is trying to find people to help carry the load.  The more menial tasks you can take off the Pastor's list the more he can give himself to his primary calling of ministry in the word and prayer.
8.  Seek to be a peacemaker in the Church family.  Too much time is spent by the pastor trying to put out fires that should never have been started.  Be a supporter of the Pastor among the people.

These are just a few suggestions but I believe will help you in your desire to see your church grow and thrive in the Lord.  Certainly there are many more things you will learn as you go.

Blessings to you today!

L. A.

No comments:

 test blog