Monday, November 24, 2008




Life Lessons I Have Learned From Golf


(Recently, I was asked to speak after a golf tournament. These are my points. I thought I would share them with you.)




I. Focus. Keep your head down and your eyes on the ball, has been over used but it still is one of the most important points in golf. In life it speaks to me of “Focus”. It is important that we first, “ keep our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith”.(Heb. 12:2) It also speaks to me about focus on our life goals themselves. You hit where you aim!

II. Satisfied . In golf, you should never get satisfied. Most golfers get to a place of comfort in their game and quit improving. In our walk with the Lord we must never think, “this is good enough”. Phil 3:14 “ I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” Be willing to pay the price for improvement.

III. Tentative. I was leaving the golf course one day after a rather bad round and heard another gentleman say, “I was too tentative today”. I knew exactly what he meant because that described my round as well. Tentative means, “hesitant, cautious, uncertain, timid”. In your daily life, you must learn to live by faith and be the opposite of “uncertain, hesitant and timid” . Josh. 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. (2 Tim. 1:7)

IV. Avoidance. We must face the reality of our condition in order to move to the next level. I have never seen a golfer who wouldn’t turn away from bad shots. We hate to see them. In our Christian walk the same is true. We don’t want to see or admit our weaknesses. Facing our weaknesses is critical to improving.

V. Practice. Most golfers hate to practice. They just want to play! It is a known fact that “practice makes perfect.” The same is true in our faith. In golf we practice in order to work into our game a better swing that will keep us from making costly mistakes while under pressure. It has to become second nature to us. Almost all golfers get into a difficult situation and revert back to old bad habits. The same in true in our daily life. Heb. 5:14 “But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, [that is], those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.”

VI. Coaching. I was beating away on the driving range and an old man from a bench said, “can I ask you a question”? I said, “sure”. He asked, “how do professional football and baseball players learn to play their sport. I thought and said, “coaches”. He said, “exactly”, and that’s the only way you learn to play golf too!” The same is true in our faith. That’s what discipleship is all about. We need a more mature believer to give instruction and oversight and help us mature in Christ. A novice golfer (or Christian) may teach us bad habits that may remain for life.



VII. Commitment. Once you check the wind, choose the right club and get over the ball, you must be “committed to the shot”! You can’t swing in a half-hearted, questioning way. You must see the ball going where you want it to go. The same is true in your Christian walk. We must remain committed to our faith every day for the rest of our lives.






No comments:

 test blog