Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Forgiveness, Focus and Follow Through

One of the most difficult things to endure is restoration. It sounds like such a wonderful word, "restore- ation". Webster says it this way, "the act of returning to an original state or condition". Truth be told, we Christians are living in an ongoing constant process of restoration. We are all being returned to an original state or condition. Jesus through redemption paid the price for our restoration but even after salvation there is this ongoing "working out our salvation with fear and trembling". Just to show how difficult it is to submit to this restorative process, think how long and how hard we resisted even the first work of salvation. For the Christian, if he falls, the process back is no easier than was his first war of resistance against salvation.

As a Christian and even as a young minister, I found myself in great need of restoration. I went through the normal process of repentance, submitting to those over me and ongoing accountability. Yet, I have learned that the greatest enemy is fought within my own mind. God and others forgive me much quicker than I forgive myself. Then the battle rages far longer than any required process of man. I have learned some things about restoration that only a restored man could understand. I don't want to make light of such a serious topic but some golf thoughts have really helped me in life and especially in this realm. Let me give you three words that might help:

1. Forgiveness - Forgiveness is an intersection where we sit with options and we have to make the right directional decision. Too many sit there for long periods of time in great remorse and some never leave that spot. Yes there needs to be a sorrow about your sin, but restoration requires that we arise and move forward. Restoration is like fleeing a house fire and in time there is not even a hint of smoke on you. God's forgiveness and restoration is exactly like that.

2. Focus- There has to be a focus on a new direction. Your focus can't be behind you but before you. Jesus endured the cross for the joy that was set "before him". There has to be an intense focus on the vision, the life purpose before you.

3. Follow through-Now the golf term. In golf everyone makes mistakes in every round of golf. Yes, the great Tiger Woods makes mistakes at every outing. Granted, his mistakes and my mistakes are on different planets, but he makes his share.

After a bad shot, a mistake, a player must forgive himself for the bad shot. Believe me many people ruin a complete day at the course over one bad shot, one mistake. Professionals do the same. Once he has forgiven himself for the mistake, he must now put it out of his head and focus on the next shot. He can't allow the last shot to destroy the next shot. Then, he must hit the ball with a good complete follow through. A follow through is really hard to understand. I used to stop my swing when I made contact with the ball. Then I learned the importance of making a complete swing. Once you hit the ball you continue your swing completing the arc. Once I started completing the follow through, I started hitting the ball straighter and farther.

In restoration these three things are critical. First, forgive yourself and release the past. Get back in the game and focus on your future and purpose. Then, go for it with purpose and determination wholeheartedly! Take a full swing at life. Don't try to live too tentative. Go for it!

1 comment:

Marie Woodard said...

That is powerful. Thank you Pastor L. A.! Blessings,
Marie

 test blog