Saturday, October 10, 2009

How Bad Do You Want it?


Well, I made it to 60 this year. Now that I'm here, it doesn't seem old. I remember school teachers that I thought were ancient and looking back they were probably 35! I have now lived in 7 decades counting the 1940's when I started this journey. Of course that was while I was still wearing diapers. For those of you younger people, that's what kids wore before pampers!
I have learned a lot, and most of what I have learned came with a price. It has been said that we learn little from success but much from failure. I have had my share of both. I try not to dwell on failure but I do try to learn from it. I believe that is a part of the way wisdom comes from experience. Experience only produces wisdom if we learn from it and see it as a mentor. Yes, wisdom comes at a price. The older I get the more questions I am asked. I think wise young people ask a lot of questions, and the wiser they are in their youth, the wiser they will be in old age. It is something that must be pursued. I have seen some pretty dumb old people which makes me know that wisdom must be sought as Proverbs tell us.
What kind of price is attached to progress? Every thing that I have wanted to accomplish in life so far has cost way more than I first thought. Herein lies a problem. If we don't first, as Jesus taught us, "count the cost", we won't be able to pay the price of completion. Everything of any value is much more expensive than we thought when we started the pursuit. Building a house usually cost, on average, about 25% more than we first estimated. Repairing you car usually cost more than the estimate. I haven't had the mechanic come back many times to say, "well, I was wrong, it cost $500 less than I thought!"
In the Kingdom of God it is not any different. There is a price to be used by God. There is a cost of pioneering churches, becoming a senior leader, living a Godly life out in the workplace, or being a parent. My daughter gave me my first grandchild. They waited over 8 years before having their first child. It was a joyful and exciting season getting ready for the birth of the child. Then the cost came. The labor was about 28 hours and that was only the beginning. Recently they visited our house and I could see the price on my daughter. She is an excellent Mother. I am amazed at how the grace of God has changed her from the normal young woman pursuing a career to a Mother focused on her child and husband. It has required a selfless transformation and she has made the journey. There was no way she could have imagined 2 years ago the price for this progress.
Where do you stand in all this today? What have you set as a goal? What do you want to accomplish? I have good news and bad news. Which do you want first? The good news? Great, here it is. You will make it! You can, and I believe will, see your dream fulfilled! Here is the bad news. It will be tougher than you think! God will help you and you will have days you want to quit, but you can make it through to completion. The price and the struggle is a part of the journey. The little chick needs the challenge of the breaking out of the shell to prepare it for living the life it so desperately desires.
Count the cost now, knowing it will be more costly than you think, then press toward the goal with reckless abandon. It will be worth it in the end!

No comments:

 test blog