Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The gospel of disappointment

Maybe it's just me, but I find it very difficult to find Christian T.V. that is not centered on the subject of "Me"! It seems that when you hear this kind of message it would be very easy to believe that the center of the Gospel is really about me and my prosperity. Now days you can pay money and get everything from special anointed water to personal prophecies. If you pledge $1,ooo to certain ministries you will unlock the secrets to riches and fame. The goal of the Gospel seems to be my happiness.

I don't mean to be unsanctified but it's a crock! This kind of programming, I can't call it preaching so I'll just call it telemarketing, whether on the T.V or in the pulpit is a false gospel. It leads to disappointment and some might even mistake it for the voice of God. Don't get me wrong, the longer I walk with God the more I realize just how much He cares about every detail of my life. He more than anyone is for me and my well being. However, He is looking to the end result of all my endeavors. It has been stated many times but is still very true today: "God is more interested in the journey than the destination". He is more interested in my attitude and behavior during the wait than my attitude when the prize is achieved. Psa. 106:15 says, He gave them the desires of their heart but sent leanness into their souls". We must be very careful how we approach God. There are times when having the Lord give us "what we want" can be tragic.

Let's back away from the table of "our desires" and ask God for an appetite for his will.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Psa. 51:10

2 comments:

jehovah productions said...

AMEN Papa J. It is not so surprising that Jesus said unto those who prophesied, healed and raised the dead in His name to depart...He never KNEW them. Everywhere I turn the name Moses is coming up. You are right, God is calling us to be Moses in these last days. Well, He always has. To dare to come up to the Holy Mount. To dare to repent, consider the cost and to get to know Him. Jesus paid such an awesome price for us to have this privledge. The children of Israel said, "no thanks to the mount thing." "Getting close to God means we will see ourselves and have to change." The devil is sure smart on coming up with gimmicks to get us sidetracked from the true meaning of being born from above. It is making God, God. Give Teresa a hug and Joan sends love.

Blake said...

Loved this post!

 test blog