Friday, March 11, 2011

Reacting or Responding

A person who cornered me was excitedly sharing their passion for their vision of what the church is supposed to be. They were attacking the status quo, boldly proclaiming how no church is training their members and getting them involved in ministry. No minister was doing what they were doing. Then the final blow came when they looked me in the eye and said, "I could never do what I am doing if I were a preacher"! They finally took a breath and looked at me for some reaction. My only thought was, "if I just keep quiet maybe they will finish an leave"!

After they left I had the afternoon for one of those rare times of working around the house catching up on "stuff" that had to be done. I seem to do my best thinking during those times. I went through the normal thought processes you might expect. I thought, the person talking to me really must not know me. Oh, we have been acquaintances for over 20 years and they have heard me preach many times but they couldn't know me and say those things. Yet, most probably they were never listening all those years. You see, I have preached, taught, trained, discipled, activated and overseen believers in ministry in daily life for nearly 40 years. It has been my ministry focus to "decentralize the church and activate the people"! Now, I have to listen as a new generation sees me as the status quo and screams for revolution. Life is short and there really is "nothing new under the sun"!

Whew, that felt good! Thanks for listening. Anyway, in moments like this one we have a choice, react or respond. Reaction tends to come as a knee jerk to words or circumstances. (Like the paragraph above.:) It is usually shallow and seldom motivated by only the present situation. Usually, it is an explosion of a lot of garbage accumulated over a long period of time. It is also usually ugly and is almost never Godly. Most of the time it is motivated by self protection, self serving and self exaltation.

After this incident, I spent the afternoon with this singular thought title: "The Ugliness of Me!" When I am dominated and driven by "ME" and hungry to make sure people hear me and follow my way, I am so ugly and unappealing. (To everyone but me!) Then I thought of another thought title: "The Beauty of Him". It brought me to one final thought but it wasn't original. It was 2,000 years old. It was the words of John the Baptist when he said, "I must decrease and He must increase".

2 comments:

Eddie Taylor said...

Dead on. Touchdown. Home run. Funny...it is weird when you find yourself on the receiving end of that conversation. God forgive me for the times I was the transmitter. :)
ET

lanierhall said...

I was going to give you a counter-argument but ended up agreeing with you.
You speak of order, governance as the solution for chaos. But I ask, what if you enter a situation similar to that of Jesus’ day. What of the scenario where your meditation of scripture and well structured government incorrectly decides that the individual is wrong. Wouldn’t it be right to not try to “stop them”. Certainly it would be wrong to be a force against them. As you said, if they are right, they’ll be proven so by their fruit…or will they?

The funny thing is I never see someone fathoming the possibility that they’re not right. I’m sure the Pharisees couldn’t fathom such a thing either; yet from our perspective 2000 years away, they seem so blind.

Given: this is more often NOT the case; but should it be considered a 0% chance? Maybe the exercise in contemplation is part of a wise response (vs a quick reaction !=).

 test blog