Tuesday, September 13, 2011

“Back-Seater”

For a number of years I had the joy and challenge of being pastor to a number of fighter pilots and their families who were serving with the U.S. Air Force. Some of that time I worked with F-16 pilots. They were a great bunch trying to balance their training that told them they were the “best of the best”, with the humility required in their Christian walk. It was difficult because the F-16 was every pilots dream. You were the only one in the jet and it was designed to “dogfight”. While the challenge was great, most learned the balance for the good of their families and sadly some did not. Prior to my experiences with F-16 pilots, our base was armed with the F-4. The F-4 Phantom II was a “two seater” fighter used a lot in Viet Nam. Obviously, the pilot sat in the front seat and the weapons systems operator or “wizzo” sat in the back seat. I was told by a few “wizzos” that they had a stick by them designed to land the plane in the event that something happened to the pilot. More than once I asked the question, “So are you confident you could land the plane if you had too”? Usually the answer they gave was in the form of a laugh! I’m sure many “wizzos” in combat had thoughts at times that they might could do a better job than the pilot. Many would have liked to have had a shot at it. Yet, they all knew that the space from the back seat to the front seat was far greater than the inches measured on a ruler.
I spent about four years training for the ministry under a Senior Pastor. Prior to that I had worked a secular job and worked in the church. I later became an elder. Next I had the privilege of serving as “Student Pastor” (Trainee position). Finally, I was sent out and started our first church at the ripe old age of 27. When I was serving in all the earlier roles I truly felt that I had the same burden as the Senior Pastor. At times I felt he was making mistakes and secretly I had to fight thoughts that I could do it better! I wondered why he didn’t move faster. Why didn’t deal with issues more forcibly? Yet, I was a “back seater”. When I was commissioned to go plant a new church I remember the weight of the moment. It was a shocking transition, yet exciting. I couldn’t wait to get started and really do it right! I had made the move from the back seat to the front! That first year was an amazing and painful year. It had been much easier to shout things from the back seat but now an entirely different deal to have your hand on the stick and missiles within reach. It was a solemn weight to know that you had it within you power to help or hurt people. I began to think of an old saying I had heard somewhere: “discretion is the better part of valor”. I never had those thoughts as a “back- seater”. I called my former pastor, the man who had trained me and asked his forgiveness. I was seeing things a little differently now. It is truly easier, much easier to be the “Monday morning quarterback” than doing the right thing in the heat of battle.

No comments:

 test blog