Monday, July 9, 2012

Being Nice To You!

I recently had the blessing of hearing Gino Mayo speak at the CFN conference.  As a Hospice Chaplain for the last five years he has dealt with death and with suffering families many, many times.  From his experiences he has learned much about dealing with grief and negative emotions.  It was a wonderful workshop.  At the end, after he had been very transparent about his own life he said, "It took me over 50 years to learn to be nice to me!"  It was a powerful statement.  I had just  heard a man say, "I have practiced the golden rule to people around me but if I had treated others the way I have treated myself, I wouldn't have many friends."
This is true of most of us.  We all gravitate toward the negative, and especially regarding ourselves.  Far too many people are their own worst enemies and in being so they sabotage their productivity and joy in life.  In Christianity and especially in preaching we have seemed to put more emphasis on the cross than the resurrection. Now, don't misunderstand me, the Cross isn't being preached enough in this hour in my opinion.  Without the Cross there is no resurrection.  However, individuals tend toward self degradation even after true repentance and salvation occurs. Once we are born again we need to live and think of ourselves as truly new creations. Romans 6:11 tells us to "reckon" or think of ourselves as "alive" in Christ.  Most of us deal with our thought life and seek to discipline our minds to not be negative or judgmental toward others.  This week give some thought to controlling your thought life toward yourself.  In the words of Gino Mayo, "be nice to you!"

3 comments:

Mary Nell Hall said...

Oh, L. A. That hit home. Thank you for sharing it. I certainly am taking it to heart and praying for myself as I seek to apply it. Glad to hear the good news of Gino. Blessings to you.

Terry Shiver said...

What God has saved us to far out weights what he has saved us from!!!

kennyg said...

DEAR PAPA...I'M BACK. THANK YOU FOR BEING A WITNESS TO WHAT HAS BEEN TALKING TO ME ABOUT. I DO HAVE A TEND TO BE HARD ON ME. BUT, GOD THINKS I AM AWESOME AND HE WILL FINISH THE WORK HE STARTED IN ME TO BRING GLORY TO HIS NAME. SOMETHING ELSE I STRUGGLE WITH. PAST SINS. HE KEEPS TELLING ME THAT THEY ARE FORGOTTEN. THROWN INTO THE SEA OF FORGETFULNESS WITH A NO FISHING SIGN. IF I COULD JUST GET MY MIND TO STOP DRAGGING THINGS LIKE THAT UP. BUT GOD. BUT GOD. BUT GOD. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HOLY SPIRIT WORDS AND THANK YOU FOR THE THANK YOU. GIVE TERESA A HUG. WE MISS YOU SO, SO MUCH.

 test blog