Sunday, November 17, 2013

Excuses

When confronted with Truth that is new to me I often find myself making excuses to why I haven't already obeyed. Notice I said, "Truth that is new to me", other than New Truth.  New Truth would speak of new revelation that hasn't been seen before.  After over 2,000 years of church life and deep searching of the Scripture I am very nervous about "New Truth".  Yet, it is a part of discipleship to be confronted with Truth that is new to me.  After over 40 years of seriously following Jesus and studying His Word, I still find new revelation even in the most familiar of verses.  The Bible is different from any other book in history because unlike, "War and Peace", it is a living book.  Some have read the Bible with a motive to find error or contradiction only to become converted by the life within it's pages.  

There is Truth that we have seen intellectually and spiritually to a certain level.  Then there comes a day when the Holy Spirit releases an explosion of illumination within our heart and soul.  This revelation is a living adjustment in that process of conforming us into the image of Jesus.  As a preacher I can tell you that I have walked in Truth and preached that same understanding of Truth.  Then I to come to a day when Heaven's plow penetrates deeper into the shallow, crusty abode of former Truth.  It reveals the lack maturity in my former habitation of Truth. It brings embarrassment! Yet, that feeling is not from any condemnation of God.  It is like youth discovering that some of their childhood beliefs were incomplete.  Parents only told them what they could comprehend at the time.  The same is true with our loving heavenly Father who releases Truth as we are ready to apply it.  Yet, even when it comes in the timing of God, it is still difficult to embrace immediately.  It feels like shame and we try to avoid admitting that we have missed the deeper Truth by dismissing it.  However, Heavenly Truth cannot be dismissed by the earthly.  Truth, once it knocks on the door of the heart continues to knock until the heart opens the door with the intent to embrace and obey.  

I'm not certain that there are three steps to help you with this lesson.  I believe simply knowing that this process exists will help us all get to the point of embracing and obeying quicker.  We all have a new plow in our future.

No comments:

 test blog